Friday, June 18, 2010

Superintendent Durbin retiring Aug. 31

New Richmond superintendent of schools Tom Durbin submitted his resignation at Thursday's School Board meeting for the purposes of retirement effective August 31, 2010.

"My plan is to go home, mow grass, cut wood, go to the Shoe for football, and prepare my road ponies for the 2011 show season," Durbin said Friday in an email to the New Richmond staff informing them of his decision to retire.

"My health is fine other than I am getting older," Durbin said in his email. "My plan is to remain in the district until everything is moved back into the high school for the start of the school year."


During Durbin's tenure as superintendent, which began in 2005, the district's cash balance has increased by $6,012,425 from $11,692,064 in 2005 to $17,704,489 in 2010. In the area of academics, the district has gone from meeting 18 of 23 possible indicators in 2004 to meeting all 26 indicators in the upcoming 2010 Ohio Achievement Test assessment results.

“I’m extremely proud of our administrators and staff,” Durbin told the board. “If the information is accurate, which I believe it to be, every building will be rated excellent and the district may receive an Excellent with Distinction rating.”

Durbin also supervised the planning and renovation of the high school, which is in its final stages this summer and next.

"The high school will be renovated for approximately $4.2 million which is approximately 10% of what a new building would cost," Durbin said in his letter to the school board.

Durbin's letter to the Board of Education follows:

June 17, 2010

NREVSD Board of Education
212 Market Street
New Richmond, OH 45157

Members of the NREVSD Board of Education,

When I was hired as Superintendent of the New Richmond Exempted Village School District, the members of the board of education gave me card that listed seven items labeled “current issues, objectives & challenges”. These became my priorities and the focus of my work as superintendent. As you are aware, I have kept that card on my desk and have continually made references to it in my daily work. I have worked diligently throughout my tenure as superintendent to meet the major items on that list.

The first item on the card is financial issues. The five year forecast that was based on May 16, 2005 listed $11,692,064 as the cash balance on June 30 of fiscal year 2004. The most recent five-year forecast approved by the board of education on May 14, 2010 lists the cash balance for June 30 of fiscal year 2009 as $17,704,489. Over the past five years that cash balance has increased by $6,012,425!

The second item on the card listed academic issues. The Local Report Card for the 2004/2005 school year shows the district meeting 18 of the 23 possible indicators. During my first year (school year 2005/2006) as superintendent the district met 23 of the 25 indicators, for the 2006/2007 school the district met 25 of the 30 indicators and for each of those years the district was rated as Effective. The Local Report Card for the 2007/2008 school year shows the district met 29 of the 30 possible indicators and received an Excellent rating from the Ohio Department of Education. The 2008/2009 Local Report Card shows the district met 28 of the 30 possible indicators and received the second Excellent rating on the Local Report Card. This year our preliminary data shows the district has met 26 of the 26 possible indicators and every building has met every indicator. If the information is accurate, which I believe it to be, every building will be rated excellent and the district may receive an Excellent with Distinction rating!

Instill/enforce individual accountability/responsibilities was the third item on the list. Every administrator’s evaluation will indicate that he/she has been held accountable through the evaluation process. The administrators have also held building personnel accountable for performance through the same process. As a result, all employees know and understand that they are responsible for their individual performance as defined in job descriptions and documented on appraisals.

Item number four (4) on the card listed high school renovations. During the past five years the high school façade has been replaced which included new walls, windows, and ventilator units at a cost of approximately $2.2 million dollars. Currently the high school is undergoing a renovation of the interior rooms which includes removal of asbestos contained in the ceiling and floor tiles. Classroom lights are also being replaced and the estimated cost will be around $2 million when the project is completed. The high school will be renovated for approximately $4.2 which is approximately 10% of what a new building would cost.

While I am extremely proud of the accomplishments listed above, I am most proud of improving educational outcomes for all students during my tenure. All my decisions are made in the best interest of students. I value the compliment I received from a former board member when she recognized that my decisions are always based on what is good and right for kids.

I have truly enjoyed working with the students, teachers, instructional aides, cafeteria workers, custodians, bus drivers, secretaries, maintenance staff, and the administrators to make the improvements that were necessary to accomplish the items listed above.

Please accept this letter as my resignation from the position of Superintendent of Schools for the New Richmond Exempted Village School District for the purposes of retirement effective August 31, 2010. I expect my severance package to reflect what is indicated in my contract and as amended on January 28, 2008.

I appreciate having the opportunity and privilege of serving the students of the New Richmond Exempted Village District. I leave my career in education knowing that with high expectations and when the adults create the right conditions, every child can and WILL learn .

Sincerely,


Thomas D. Durbin